Sunday, July 31, 2011

Childhood Memories and Lifetime Lessons

“There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained” Winston Churchill

As a child I can remember lying across my parents’ bed with my mother and sisters, playing board games. I can also recall how my mother would gather us up and go to Jack in the Box for a late night snack of greasy, but ever so delicious tacos, (I would be in heartburn city if I tried that now). One of my fondest memories is looking at the late night horror show called Creature Features with my mother and closing my eyes when Lon Chaney turned into the “Wolfman.”

I love to reminisce over my childhood; I have so many great memories. The value of family cannot be underestimated. Family is the foundation to any strong and cohesive community and nation. However, the size and quality of the nuclear family has changed dramatically over the past decade and our country is suffering for it. So many people are running around going in different directions without meaning to get pulled off track, but they do. The importance of family and insuring that children have happy and healthy childhoods seems not to even be on the radar.

I have learned so many lessons from my childhood. The importance of instilling family values and expressing your love and support for your children is one of the most important. My family is a priority. As a child I remember my mother making numerous sacrifices for us. That example is one that I will always remember. As a father, I have realized that once I established a family, my personal wants take a back seat to making sure that I can be the best husband and father to my family. Raising a family is hard work, but it’s work that can pay off big time.

What are some of your fondest childhood memories, and what lessons have you learned as a result of your upbringing?

No comments:

Post a Comment