Sunday, January 30, 2011

No News is Good News

I was in the coffee shop writing my blog and met a family friend who came up to speak with me for a moment.  During our conversation I asked about her son who recently enlisted in the Navy.  She said I don’t know.   She said when her son went into the service she was told “no news is good news.”  It got me to thinking about the sacrifices being made by families all over this country, who have to live with “no news being good news.” 

She said the day he left he went with nothing but the clothes on his back.  The service would not let him take anything with him.  She recounted the story of when her daughter went to college, and how the family was involved in every aspect of getting her settled into her dorm.  But in the case of her son, she could not do anything, but hug him and let him go. 

As I write this post I am filled with appreciation for our men and women who serve our country.  I want to say thank you to all of the mothers and fathers who raise and support young men and women who want to serve their country.  

You could see the pride and the love in her eyes for her son and her support for his decision to serve his country. 

She said “as a parent you want to send your children out into the world prepared with everything they need to succeed.”  I say by giving him love and encouragement, she has given him two of the most important things he will need to succeed.  In the end, this mother said she could not do anything but let him go.  She too is a hero and her family’s sacrifice EPIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment