Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kilroy Was Here

I am a big fan of Bugs Bunny.

I have practically memorized many episodes, but there is one that particularly sticks with me.  You may remember it too.  In this episode, Bugs Bunny goes to the moon.  While he is walking on the moon he passes a big rock with graffiti written on it saying “Kilroy was here.” 

I was always curious about this mysterious Kilroy so I did a little digging to find out who he was.  It turns out that during WWII there was a shipyard inspector named James J. Kilroy. He chalked the words “Kilroy was here” on bulkheads to show that he had been there and inspected the riveting in the newly constructed ship. To the troops in those ships, however, it was a complete mystery — all they knew for sure was that he had "been there first." As a joke, they began placing the phrase as graffiti wherever they (the US forces) landed or went, claiming it was already there when they arrived.

It made me think, when I leave this earth what kind of graffiti will I leave behind and will God be pleased with it?  I may not have been here first, but I was here.

Recently, I was having a little quiet time thinking about life, my goals, my dreams and I thought about the things I have yet to accomplish.  Now that I am over 50 it seems as though I think more about my own mortality.  I asked myself the question:  am I satisfied with my life and the things that I have accomplished?   Being honest, I had to say no.  This does not mean that I am not happy; I just know there is more that I want to accomplish.  I want to serve and love people more.  That’s the legacy I want to leave. 

Leaving a legacy means living for others, helping, serving, and leading others in a way that helps them achieve their dreams.   When I think of people who have had the greatest positive impact on the world, they are servant leaders.  We look back on their lives and think about their contributions and how they continue to have an influence on our society. 

Loving my wife, kids, family and friends is my focus.  I pray that I am having a positive influence on their lives.  Like Kilroy I want to write on the hearts of the people that have been placed in my path.   

What kind of graffiti do you want to leave behind to show that you were here?    

No comments:

Post a Comment