Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Pursuit of Happiness

“The pursuit of happiness is a matter of choice...it is a positive attitude we consciously choose to express. It is not a gift that gets delivered to our doorstep each morning, nor does it come through the window. And I am certain that our circumstances are just a small part of what makes us joyful. If we wait for them to get just right, we will never find lasting joy.

The pursuit of happiness is an inward journey. Our minds are like programs, awaiting the code that will determine behaviors; like bank vaults awaiting our deposits. If we regularly deposit positive, encouraging, and uplifting thoughts, if we continue to bite our lips just before we begin to grumble and complain, if we shoot down that seemingly harmless negative thought as it germinates, we will find that there is much to rejoice about.”  Author Unknown

How many of you are enjoying life?


Are you happy?


I can imagine that before you answer these questions many of you are thinking about your life and weighing the good and bad things going on in your life.  If you have money and a job, maybe you are enjoying life.  If you have lost your job, maybe life is not good.  The holidays often stress people out which can lead to depression.  While speaking to a group of individuals this past week I asked them the same question.  Out of 70-80 people only 10 raised their hands.  Wow! Only 10 said they were enjoying life.

This economy has taken its toll on many lives.  The loss of jobs, homes, retirement nest eggs, and its impact on families leaves so many afraid, fearful and angry.  The threat of increased taxation, fuel and food prices only further the feelings of uncertainty.  How can one enjoy life and be happy with all of the cares of this life swirling around them?

Keeping life in perspective is the key to happiness and joy.  I find that when I want to grumble and complain, simply thinking about the positive things that are going on in my life resets my thinking.  My faith in God is the number one key for me living an abundant life.  My happiness and joy is not predicated on my circumstances, but my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

If you are one of the ones worrying and anxious, I have one question for you, how is it working for you?  Place your trust in the only One who is able to bring lasting joy and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment